Best Soldering Station Reviews 2016-2017
In conducting projects in laboratories, the soldering station is a must-have equipment. Whether you are a hobbyist or a professional engineer, this station is indeed helpful for your soldering jobs. It is undeniable that technology is capturing the society, and you must keep up with the latest advancements.
Soldering jobs will require reliable iron or soldering stations to effectively execute the required tasks. You might not have your own soldering station as of now, but this article will help you in determining the best soldering station fit for you. You will also learn about some of the leading models of soldering station in the market.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Weller WLC100|| (4.5 / 5) |
|Hakko FX888D|| (4.8 / 5) |
|Weller WESD51|| (4.5 / 5) |
|Aoyue 9378|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Aoyue 968A+|| (4.2 / 5) |
Best Soldering Station Review
- 1 Best Soldering Station Review
- 2 Soldering Station Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
The design of Weller WLC100 is very elegant and reflects perfection. Its size is just perfect for grasping the soldering pen without any problem. Its lightweight and compact design makes it possible to be carried wherever you are. You will also like the fact that the heating element of this soldering iron can be easily replaced. This makes this soldering station usable for an extended period of time.
Another feature that makes this a very reliable soldering station is the ability to adjust the power depending on the task you are currently performing. You can set its power between 5w watts to 40 watts depending on your need. This is very helpful because a variety of materials need different levels of temperature to melt.
This device has a button for the on/off control. You can avoid damages and complications with this feature because you can easily turn the tool off once you’re done.
The Weller WLC100 is equipped with an ST3 iron-plated screwdriver tip. The thing that you will like about this is that you have an option to install additional ST series for added power and convenience which you can use in different soldering applications. This soldering iron is composed of solid copper, which is tested to be highly durable. Moreover, it is protected from rust and corrosion.
It is also hailed as the best soldering station in its league. You will be ensured that this can be used for a longer period of time, since it comes with a 1 year warranty.
The Hakko FX999D has captured the market because of its remarkable advanced features and highly technological specifications. This soldering station has everything that you will look for in a good soldering station.
One of its notable features is its ability to adjust the temperature using a control. You should note that in order to come up with successful soldering tasks, the temperature should be set in the appropriate level fit to the material. You can monitor the temperature through the digital display installed in the soldering station.
Another remarkable feature of the Hakko FX888D is thermal recovery. The heater of this station is better than any other model in the market because it is increased by 30 percent. The inclusion of the T18 technology makes it possible for this device to be heat-conductive. You can work with a controlled temperature based on the material. Incidents of damages will be reduced as well as the damage of the soldering tip.
There are no complications and hard-to-understand assembling procedures for this soldering station. You can make use of this device for a variety of soldering projects. It can also save you much money because of its versatility.
Weller has been a renowned manufacturer of high quality equipment, and the Weller WESD51 is one of its great soldering station models. The features of this device are competitive enough to be compared with other soldering stations. This can be used both by electronic hobbyists and professional engineers.
This soldering station is complete with a soldering pencil, power unit, and a sponge. It is a complete package so you don’t need to buy the accessories separately. The temperature lockout function can be activated using the magic wand. This is primarily used for controlling the temperature of the nozzle or tip.
You will surely feel secured with this soldering station. The soldering pencil of this unit is equipped with T3 technology. The tips, which are made of soldering copper, come in a variety of shapes that can be used in different soldering jobs. This also ensures efficient heating capabilities and durability.
These materials make it possible for heat to be transferred effectively on the material being soldered. It also has a capability to avoid oxidation whenever the soldering iron reaches a really high temperature. The fiber fabrication technology of this soldering station is very safe to be utilized by everyone.
The soldering tips of Weller WESD51 are created with multiple layers of alloy. This is positioned on top of the iron core for added soldering power. This feature also protects it from further damage caused by the charge accumulation after soldering.
The sponge included in the soldering station kit is meant for cleaning the soldering tip. It is important to clean it after usage to maintain its efficiency in soldering. If you are looking for the best soldering station for your money’s value, Weller WESD51 is the right fit for your need and budget.
The Aoyue 9378 is a very robust soldering gun with a thermostat screen for greater functionality. You can see both the Fahrenheit and Celsius readings for monitoring purposes. There is also a sleep control to prolong the life of the soldering tip. The soldering tip is prone to damage if the soldering station is left running in a high temperature.
The tip has different sizes perfect for different soldering jobs. The temperature also has two options based on your preference. You can either set it to Celsius or Fahrenheit. A red LED light is also built-in to control the temperature. This has the capacity to show the temperature while it is heating up.
You wouldn’t imagine that this soldering iron has a lot more to give to the users. It has a vibration sensor that can detect motion and movements. This is a relevant feature especially when you need to test it. Slight movements can also be detected by this sensor.
The thermostat control is digital so it is easier to monitor the temperature when you are currently soldering. There is also a LED light to notify the user of the current status of the soldering iron. It also helps to monitor if the tip is already overheating because of the high temperature.
If you are looking for a soldering station that will not cost you that much, then the Aoyue 9378 is the right device to purchase. You get to have a soldering station packed with benefits at such an affordable price. This device is also ensured to be durable because of its solid construction.
The Aoyue 968A+ is one of the best soldering kits in the market today. This is a type of hot air rework station for working on miniscule things and small parts similar to cellular phone parts.
You will surely find this soldering station very efficient to use because of the low-cost soldering tips included in the kit. This also has a smoke absorber that is beneficial to people who hate to inhale this disturbing smoke from the soldering station. You should note that the smoke coming from metal is harmful to one’s health. It can even cause asthma and other respiratory diseases.
This device has a built-in temperature stabilizer. This is primarily used to control the air flow and to stabilize the temperature of the nozzle or tip. It is best used for situations when the heating core breaks down or gets damaged. The auto-cool control of this soldering station is used to cool it down to prevent further damage.
The Aoyue 968A+ has 70 watts power consumption, which is very cost efficient. This has the capacity to heat up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit at the maximum. The hot air feature of this device is also remarkable. It has a consumption of 550 watts and can produce from 100 degrees Celsius up to 480 degrees Celsius as its maximum temperature. The display of this device is very versatile because it can be used for both the hot air works and soldering works.
Soldering Station Buying Guide
It is just common that people don’t know where to start when it comes to buying a soldering station. There are a lot of considerations in acquiring the perfect soldering gun for your need. It is quite hard to choose the best soldering iron station for your need but this guide will help you make the decision.
- Is it replaceable? – The tip is often the part that gets damage because it is the part that is being heated to do the soldering job. Make sure that you buy a soldering station that has a replaceable soldering tip.
- Check if your soldering station has available replacements for the nozzle. You can even stock up for future purposes.
- Know the variety of nozzles that your soldering station can have.
- It is also advisable to avail a soldering station with a soldering stand for easy soldering.
Wattage of Your Soldering Station
- The wattage is the reason why your soldering iron can heat up objects. You should remember that too much wattage can cause damage to your unit due to over-heating. It is advisable to make use of low wattage when working on normal soldering jobs.
- The wattage rating should be between 15 watts to 25 watts. This is much safer than excessive wattage.
Heating of the Soldering Station
- Does it heat fast? You should also consider the heating duration of your soldering gun. If you are a time-savvy person, you should consider buying a soldering station that can heat up faster. Of course, normal soldering will cost cheaper.
- You also need to consider the heating element that it uses. You must note that different heating elements have their own specific properties. For example, ceramics are readily replaceable.
- Variable temperatures are also considered. This is indeed very important for all soldering stations. Different materials need different temperatures. It is important for a soldering gun to have a variable temperature setting for you to have a better control of the temperature.
Cost of the Soldering Station
- The cost of the soldering station is of utmost importance. Some people cannot avail a too expensive unit, which is why they rely on the ordinary ones even though they need more soldering power. There are soldering guns in the market that are affordable. You just need to find the best deal for you.
- A good soldering iron could have a middle-ranged price depending on the brand and the specifications. The inclusions can also add to the cost.
- It is suggested that you read the customer reviews to know the best soldering station in the market.
Brand of Soldering Station
- There are a lot of brands of soldering stations in the market. No two soldering guns are created with exact capabilities. It is advisable to check out the reviews of the leading brands online to know which one to avail.
- Leading brands in the market offer soldering stations of good quality.
Picking a Soldering Iron
You need to decide what you need to do with the soldering iron. Irons have a lot of varieties depending on their uses. You must remember that Cold Heat soldering iron is not a portable device. Butane-powered guns are more portable than any type of irons.
Types of Soldering Irons
- Simple Iron – This is the most common type of soldering gun. They are best used for electronic jobs and other ordinary tasks. The temperatures are usually not controlled because of the lack of variable temperature settings.
- Soldering Station – This is operated by electric power supply. There is also a temperature control display as well as the control circuitry. The soldering head has a temperature sensor which can detect the range of heat. There is a stand for storing the iron as well as a sponge for cleaning it after usage.
- Soldering Tweezers – They are best used for small mounted components like electronic units. They can be used to work on hard-to-reach areas and surfaces. It can either be a freestanding device or you can place it on a stand.
- Soldering Gun – The soldering guns can look like the common hand drills. It is equipped with a wire and tip that can easily cool down after use. A holster is not needed to safely keep this device. It is safe to be used by anyone because it lessens fire hazards.
- Soldering Torch – The soldering torch is operated by propane gas which can produce heat. Soldering torches are commonly used by jewelers. It can effectively heat metals used for jewelry. The temperature can rise higher, and preventive measures should be observed.
- Stand – The stand can be bought separately or it might be built-in in your soldering iron. This is where you place the hot iron. It is a safe way to hold the soldering iron.
- Solder – This is the actual tool for the soldering of metals and other materials.
- Diagonal Cutter– This is used for trimming the materials.
- Vise – This is used for holding the material you are soldering.
The article has provided vital information about soldering stations. The brands given in this article are the best among the leading brands and they all have their own set of features and specifications.
There are unlimited brands of soldering stations and it is up to your own discretion which one is the best soldering gun for your need. You need to identify your requirement first before you decide to buy your own soldering station.
They come in a range of prices depending on their quality and technology. Nevertheless, they are important tools in industrial jobs. They play a big part in most construction tasks as well. In order to own the perfect soldering station, check out the reviews first and see what others have to say about them.
Check out other Welding tools here:
- Plasma Cutter (also here)
- Tig Welder / Mig Welder (also here & here)
- Soldering Station (also here)
- Work Boots (also here)
- Helmet (also here)
- Butane Torch (also here)
- Heated Jacket (also here)