One of the quickest ways to get rid of paint from a surface is sanding. You can remove the chipped and worn paint from a surface in a matter of minutes by making use of belt sander or a heavy-grit sandpaper. However, sanding comes with some drawbacks. It is not advisable to be used on furniture since the surface beneath the paint can be damaged. Nonetheless, sanding is still one of the classic techniques that can get the job done quickly.
You will need
- Belt sander
- Heavy-grit sandpaper or belt
- Medium-grit sandpaper or belt
- Face mask
- Safety glasses
- When sanding, choose a medium-grade or heavy-grade sandpaper. When choosing a belt sander, make sure to choose a sandpaper bet that is compatible with the machine. For more information about which specific sandpaper belts is compatible to your belt sander, you can refer to the machine’s user manual or ask the store clerk. The reason why you need to refer to the user manual is that the process of installing the sandpaper to the belt sander differs from one model to the other.
- For safety, it is advisable that you wear a face mask and safety glasses. This is because sanding paint can scatter huge amount of paint dust and debris in the air. Always make sure to keep your eyes protected and avoid breathing in any of these airborne contaminants.
- Given that you are using a belt sander, use the heavy-grit sandpaper first. Then, turn on the machine and sand away the paint. Gradually move the belt sander along the grain of the wood. In the event you are doing the job by hand, you can expect to invest a lot of your time and a considerable amount of elbow grease.
- As soon as you manage to see the surface beneath the paint, you need to change to a medium-grit sandpaper. This will help reduce the amount of surface worn away from sanding and enables you to get rid of paint precisely.
- Another important thing to note is that you need to be careful when removing paint from a house constructed before 1978. This is because most of these houses have materials made from lead. If you are unsure if the house is lead-free or not, do not attempt to remove any pain. It is best that you let professionals do the job instead.
Last update on 2017-01-21 at 05:09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API