Dog boots play a crucial part in keeping your pet protected from the harmful elements outdoors and in making them comfortable. Although a dog’s foot is much tougher than humans, they still need protection to prevent discomforts and even injuries. That’s why it is important to let them use a boot.
There are different types of dog boots that are available in the market. Some boots are ideal during winter wherein your dog can be at risk of slipping. On the other hand, there are also some that your dog can use during summer to protect their pads from the hot pavements and sidewalks so they don’t burn their paws.
Best Dog Boots That Stay On Review
The Petacc is the best dog boots that stay on especially for large dog breeds such as Labradors. This boot will keep your pet warm during cold weather. At the same time, it also protects the paws of your dog from injury during hiking or walking activities.
This shoe is made from a durable and water resistant material that is why it keeps the pads of your pet dry even if they walk through wet areas. It also has a skid resistant feature and flexible sole to ensure the comfort of your pet when using the boot. The soles are specially designed to provide better motion control as your pet moves around.
When you look at the Petacc, you will notice that its opening seam is wider than the regular dog boots. This is intended to allow easy slip-on of the shoe. At each side, you will find two Velcro straps which help secure the boots to prevent it from accidentally sliding off of your pet’s feet. It also helps you keep an eye on your dog at night even from a distance.
The Velcro strap on the shoe does not only help customize the fit of the boot but it also keeps your dog safe particularly when you are walking outdoors at night. This is because the Velcro is reflective, which means that drivers will be aware of your walking dog even when it’s dark.
Although the boot is waterproof, it is discouraged to let your dog get into the water because sand and other small objects can get into the shoe. If sharp objects get into the shoe, it can poke holes and can hurt your pet too.
When your dog uses the shoe for the first time, they would usually feel uncomfortable so they walk in an awkward manner. This is because thick materials used in boots hinder them from feeling the texture of the ground so their every step is tempered. To prevent this type of discomfort to your dogs, you should consider using Pawz.
Pawz is a dog boots that stay on regardless if your dog is walking on snow or on dry land since it is made from flexible rubber. The rubber provides protection to your dog while at the same time allowing them to feel and grasp the ground.
Although the Pawz provides a natural feel to the dog, it is normal that they feel uneasy the first time they wear this. This getting-use-to episode is typically short and fleeting so just give them a few minutes to adjust to the unusual feeling. Before you know it, your dog is already used to the sensation.
A lot of pet owners claim that the Pawz is the best dog shoes, especially when it comes to affordability. It is reusable and disposable which means that you can repeatedly use them until they get worn before you use another set. In comparison to other boots, this one is the cheapest and the most practical.
This boot usually comes in 12 pieces per pack and it can fit from extra small to extra-large feet. You don’t need any Velcro or any other strap because the moment you slip the boot on, it will fit snugly in place.
Finding the best dog boots that stay on for winter as well as shoes for other seasons can be a challenge especially since most come in limited sizes. If your dog’s feet are either too big or too small, you may end up buying something that does not properly fit them.
With the My Busy Dog boots, you don’t have to worry because it comes in 8 different sizes. So, you can easily find a size that would comfortably fit on your dog’s paws.
Aside from the 8 different sizes offered, this boot also comes in 4 varying bright colors: green, black, red and orange. These reflective colors will enable you and the others to see your dog even during nighttime.
The My Busy Dog boots feature vinyl toe caps plus a stabilizer found at the side of the foot. It also has a heavy-duty construction with the use of sturdy stitching. If you compare the soles of this boots to other shoes in the market, you’ll notice that it is much thicker which your dog can wear for a long time.
Aside from the upper wraparound reflective fastened, this boot also has lower webbing. This feature allows easy clinching down of the boot so it stays in place no matter how active your dog gets.
The highlight of this boot is its waterproof feature which attracts many pet owners. It is best used in winter since it comes with a strap located on top to prevent snow from seeping through the material. They are also ideal for rainy day walks so you don’t have to wipe off your dog’s dirty feet.
The manufacturer of this boot may not be as popular as the other brands we have mentioned. This item, however, is one of the best dog boots that stay on when used in any type of weather. It is waterproof and has a molded rubber bottom which makes it non-slip.
Slipping accidents may not cause much damage to younger dogs but if you have an elderly pet that is suffering from hip problems, a minor slip can cause serious injuries. In situations like this, the Colorful House boots become very useful.
In addition to the anti-slip safety feature of this dog boots, it has a reflective tape which does not only function as a strap but also as a reflective device. With this feature, you don’t have to worry about losing sight of your pet because this feature will allow you to see them even at night.
The Colorful House is a highly economical option for pet owners who want something for an average level terrain. It has the regular features that you typically see in most dog boots plus, it comes with add-ons such as the reflective adjustable straps.
This is an ideal boot for dogs that weigh between 30 to 88 pounds and you can choose from the sizes 4-8. The largest size weighs about 8 ounces and it’s mainly made from durable rubber to accommodate the weight of your pet.
The Colorful House does not only offer great value for your money but also efficient features that all pet owners can utilize.
According to many experts and pet owners, the Ultra Paws is the best dog snow boots particularly for senior pets and those with hip problems. It is made from elastic, water-resistant material which helps prevent accidental skidding that can potentially cause an injury to your pet.
Aside from providing protection against ice, this boot also guards your pet’s feet from gravel, rocks, asphalt, cactus, thorns and other harmful elements found outdoors.
Since this shoe has a wide split seam top and a distinctive expanding side seam, putting it on your dog won’t be a struggle anymore. You can effortlessly slide your dog’s foot inside then secure it with the Velcro brand. You can tighten or loosen the straps depending on the size of your dog’s paws.
The Ultra Paws is fabricated using Reprotek; a material created using recycled tire, which is then wrapped with nylon. Inside the boot, there is a foam comfort pad that helps keep the shoe in place.
These boots come in different sizes so you need to pick one that will snugly fit your pet’s feet. To ensure ultra-fit let your dog stand with his weight on the measured paw, then get the distance across the width of the paw. Add about a quarter inch to give extra room for your dog’s feet to spread.
A lot of dog boots reviews mention that one of the best things about the Ultra Paws is that it holds up well when washed in a machine. You just have to simply wrap the closure, wash in cold water on delicate cycle then hang to dry.
Dog Boots Buying Guide
A dog boot does not have to be expensive because, if you know what to look for and you have identified the needs of your pet, you can easily purchase an item within your budget. In this section, we will talk about the different factors that will help you pick the perfect boots for your pet.
Types of Dog Boots
Similar to other pet products, dog boots also comes in different styles. There are some which are very simple while others have over-the-top designs. When choosing a dog boot, your main concern should be your dog’s protection. The other features are just add-ons which may not be that useful.
1) Disposable Dog Boots – Disposable boots are ideal for pet owners who don’t regularly go out in challenging terrains and those who just want to try them out. Compared to the reusable boots, the disposable ones are affordable so people who are on a budget can consider this type.
These are usually made from biodegradable rubber; thus, it fits snugly to your dog’s feet without the need for any adjustment. It can be reused as long as it does not have any tear or puncture. This is to ensure that your pet still gets his much-needed protection against outdoor elements.
2) Reusable Dog Boots – This type of boots is much expensive but your dog can wear it for a long time. It is usually made from high-quality materials so it can withstand constant usage in varying kinds of environment. This is ideal for homeowners that make it a habit of going outdoors with their pets.
When reusable boots get soiled, you can easily wash it, hang to dry then use it again. As long as the boot is intact and does not have any damage, your dog can continue to use it.
Uses for Dog Boots
- Outdoors – Outdoor dog boots are made of tough materials to protect your pet’s feet from injuries caused by sharp objects or hot pavements. These items have sturdy soles while the rest of its body can be made of various materials, depending on its use.
- Indoors – Compared to outdoor boots, indoor shoes are much softer and have a flexible sole. The main purpose of this item is to protect your floors from scratches caused by your dog’s nails. Indoor boots provide traction to prevent your dog from accidentally slipping on wooden, tile or marble floor.
- Cold Weather – These boots are specially made for cold seasons. It has insulation and has a waterproof fabric as covering to keep your pet’s feet dry even when they walk outdoors. The insulation will keep your pet’s feet warm while they walk through the snow.
- Hot Weather – Hot weather boots are intended to provide protection for your dog’s feet during hot weather. These boots are often made from breathable fabric enabling continuous airflow inside so their paws are kept cool.
- Waterproof – Waterproof boots keep your pet’s foot dry even when they walk on wet surfaces. It also serves as protection from harmful chemicals like oil.
- Nylon – Nylon is a popular material used to make winter boots. This material helps make the booties comfortable and warm. It also adds flexibility to the boots so your pet can comfortably walk and run without the shoe hampering their every move.
- Leather – Leather boots are usually lightweight and have a non-chaff and non-sweat design. It ensures comfort and correct pacing with the help of its tough construction. Boots made from this material can withstand sharp objects as well as jagged terrains.
- Rubber – Boots made from rubber are considered to be the best dog shoes because it provides ultimate protection for your pet’s feet. It is very flexible so your pet will feel comfortable and it also stays in place even when your pet walks on slippery paths. This is the most common material used for some of the best boots on the market today.
Other Factors to Consider
1) Size and Fit – Dog boots come in varying sizes like S-XL. There are also companies that offer sizing recommendations based on the paw size of a certain breed of dog.
You have to carefully measure your pet’s paw and add a little allowance to get the ideal shoe size of your pet. Aside from the size, you also need to check closure features since this also plays a huge part in the fitting of the boots.
There are some products with one fastener while others come with two Velcro straps. The straps are meant to keep the boots secured even if your dog is actively running around.
2) Safety Features – The most common safety feature on dog boots is the reflective straps which also help in securing the boots in place. The reflective straps are very useful when you walk with your dog during nighttime. This will help your dog be visible to prevent any accidents.
The anti-slip is another safety feature useful during winter or when your dogs walk in slippery areas. This particular feature is recommended for senior dogs and those with hip problems since they are more prone to accidents.
3) Comfort – Safety and comfort are the main factors that you should look for in a dog boot. When the boot is uncomfortable, it will just defeat the purpose of letting your pet use the product.
To determine how comfortable the shoes can be, check the materials used and also consider the weather. If your dog will use the boots during summer, choose breathable materials to keep their feet cool.
If the pet is going to use the boots during winter, choose one that provides insulation and traction on the soles or prevents accidental slipping.
Although your dog’s feet can withstand the outdoors, there are instances when you need a little protection to keep them comfortable. The best dog boots that stay on will allow you and your pet to enjoy the outdoors for as long as you like without worrying about the safety of your dog.
There are various brands and styles available but don’t be overwhelmed. The information you learned here can narrow down your options until you select the best one for your pet.
Make sure that you choose boots that do not only keep your pet away from harm but also something that provides comfort.