Trimming and maintaining your dog’s nails can be a challenge that’s why it is important that you use the best dog nail clippers for black nails to do the job. It is important to keep your dog’s nails trimmed. Long nails do not only look unattractive but it can also cause serious injuries to your pet
When your dog’s nails are long, it can be forced pushed towards the nail bed as they walk causing discomfort and pressure to the toe joint. If left untreated, it can lead to permanent damage since it causes the joints to realign. This makes the foot look splayed and flat.
Best Dog Nail Clippers for Black Nails Review
The OmegaPet is considered the best dog nail trimmer, which is applicable for the pickiest dog owner. This clipper is made from surgical grade stainless steel. It provides professional quality results without having to leave the comforts of your home.
Even if your dogs have thick and hard nails, this clipper will effortlessly provide great results. It has razor-sharp stainless steel edges, made from a lightweight and tough material. This can slice through tough nails, producing a well-defined cut all the time.
The blades of OmegaPet may be tough but its grips are made from rubberized and sturdy plastic that’s why it’s very comfortable to use. The handles are longer because of its ergonomic design, making it easy to hold regardless if you have large or small hands. Thus, wrist strain and fatigue can be avoided.
To ensure the safety of your pup, a safety guard feature is added to this clipper. With the safety guard, you no longer have to worry about cutting too close to your dog’s paws. On top of the safety guard feature, the OmegaPet also has a lock mechanism so you can close the clipper before storage.
This nail clipper only comes in one size and its blades are not replaceable but it can still be used with any type of dog regardless of its size. Since the blades of this clipper are made from high-quality materials, you can use it for a long period of time.
If you are looking for one of the highest rated nail clippers in the market, the Epica is something to consider. Many users, both professional and regular pet owners, love this product because it is packed with many useful features.
The first thing that you’ll notice with this nail clipper is the handle’s functional design. It’s extremely comfortable to use that you won’t feel any kind of discomfort even if you trim the nails of several dogs successively. This is because the soft handles are enclosed with a rubber cushion.
Aside from ensuring your comfort, the rubber pad also prevents the nail clipper from slipping while you are working. Plus, the shape of the holder is intended so that you can take full advantage of your strength for a fast and clean nail cut.
Another feature which also helps in delivering a professional looking cut is the sharp blade of the clipper with stainless steel construction. Every cut you make always produces smooth edges, allowing you to work faster.
Just like with OmegaPet, the Epica nail clipper also features a safety lock and a safety guard. The Epica’s safety lock is made from metal, which ensures that the lock won’t accidentally disengage as it is stored. As for the safety guard, it functions just like with other clippers wherein you are able to gauge the ideal length as you are cutting.
The Epica nail trimmer is recommended for medium to large sized dogs.
The Koodella is the best nail clipper for dogs, especially if you have small pets. Cutting a small dog’s nails with tiny paws is hard. This clipper will make the task easier due to its feature that prevents overcutting: the quick sensor.
The quick sensor is a one of a kind safety stop so you are confident that your pet is safe from injuries caused by over trimming. With this device, you can cut overgrown nails like ingrown and even curved nails. These types of nails dig into your dog’s delicate pads that lead to discomfort.
This device is the best nail trimmer for dogs that offer a 100% refund warranty if you are not satisfied with its performance. You can get a refund of the full amount you paid within 60 days from the time you purchased the clipper.
Like the previous two clippers that we have talked about, the Koodella also has a safety lock and has ergonomically designed handles. The safety lock of this clipper is positioned on the handle and you just have to slide up the control to lock the device in place. This feature is very useful especially for pet owners who have small children at home.
Another feature that can help you confidently cut your pet’s nails is the ergonomically designed handles. With this feature, you can easily and firmly grip the device for easily cutting.
The Pro Pet is a company that specializes in the production of quality pet products like food and grooming commodities. The latest addition to their products is their nail clippers designed by professional dog groomers.
Users of this device commend its efficiency when cutting nails and, at the same time, in providing comfort for both owners and their pets. The blade is made from tough stainless steel that guarantees accurate cut every time, reducing stress to your pets. With the type of blade that this device has, you can effortlessly cut our pet’s nails in one swift motion.
At the tip of the Pro Pet clipper’s handle, you can find a nail file. Since cuts from this trimmer are typically smooth, you won’t have to use the file most of the time. However, if you feel like rounding off the edges of your dog’s nails, then this can come handy.
Even if it’s your first time using a nail trimmer, you won’t have a hard time when you use Pro Pet because it’s very easy to use. It comes with a detailed instruction on how to properly cut your dog’s nails. The instructions come with series of images too so you won’t miss anything and end up hurting your pet.
With its attractive design and a 10-year guarantee, this should definitely be at the top of your list when it comes to the best nail trimmer for dogs.
The Dremel is another device that helps maintain the nails of your dogs but this one differs from the 4 others we have mentioned. This product does not cut nails but it grinds until you get the desired length.
Owners and professionals use this device particularly on pets that are not comfortable with clippers. Some pets don’t like the regular clippers because they feel stressed and restless when these are used. If this happens to you, the Dremel 7300 can solve your problems.
This device can also be used in conjunction with a regular clipper, especially when there are rough edges on your pet’s nails. You can use this grinder to smoothen and round off sharp edges not just with your pet’s nails but also in certain areas of your home.
This product comes with a light and efficient power of 4.8 volts that provides an appropriate balance concerning performance and power. The Dremel produces just enough power so it can complete the job without generating too much noise that might scare your pet.
To ensure that you get a precise cut, the device also features variable speeds of 6,500 and 13,000 RPM. You can start with the low speed in case your pet is not yet comfortable with the high option. From here, you can gradually switch from slow to fast depending on the condition of the nails.
It’s easy to use this nail grinder since it is wireless and powered by a battery. You can bring this product with you anywhere without dealing with bulky wires. As long as your battery is charged up, this tool can consistently perform.
Dog Nail Clipper Buying Guide
In this section, you will learn about the important variables you should remember before buying nail clippers. Thoroughly understanding these variables will help you narrow down your options so you can come up with the right decision.
Types of Clipper
1) Scissor Clippers – This type of clipper is also known as Miller’s Forge trimmers and it is the most common device used by many pet owners for at-home nail care. This device usually comes with a safety guard so that even novice can easily use it. This type is ideal for large dogs since it gives more control to enable you to cut through denser and tougher nails.
2) Guillotine Clippers – As for this type, it is ideal for small to medium dogs and is not recommended for larger breeds. The guillotine clipper has a small hole where you will insert your dog’s nail then a sharp metal blade is lowered to cut the tip off.
This device does not have a safety guard so only those who are experienced in doing the task should use it.
3) Grinder Tools – Many professionals prefer the grinder tool since it gives a better result and has a simple and accurate approach. When using this tool, there is less risk for breakage and pressure on the nails. With this tool, some pets may become restless because of its sound. For this reason, it’s important to train them.
Variables to Consider
1) Sharpness of the Blade – When dull blades are used to cut nails, it can leave behind nicks and cuts which are painful. You will have a hard time cutting through your pet’s nails especially to big dogs. Hence, a sharp blade is essential for you to easily cut nails with only slight resistance.
2) Safety Features – To make the process of trimming less stressful you have to opt for a device that provides safety features. Whether you’re an expert or a novice, you can have peace of mind when your clipper has this feature.
Cutting too far from the tip of the nails can injure the soft tissues which have a blood supply and this can cause bleeding. It can also cause trauma to both you and your pet.
3) Size – There are sizes of clippers that can be used for different sizes of dogs while there are also those which are ideal for certain diameters. Carefully check the clippers to see if it comes with suggested dog size. This way, you don’t end up settling for something that’s not appropriate for the needs of your dog.
4) Durability – The most durable clippers are mostly made from high-quality stainless steel that doesn’t rust and get dull easily. When you have a durable clipper you don’t have to worry about scratching, bending or breaking the blades even if you are dealing with a large breed of dogs.
5) Comfort – The ergonomically designed handles give comfort to both pet owners and their dogs. The handles should be large to enable you to comfortably position your hands around it. There are also clippers that have anti-slip feature and this adds comfort to the user.
How to Safely Cut Your Pet’s Nails
- Prepare the necessary materials like clippers, treats and styptic powder or other clotting powder. It’s a good idea to give your dogs a treat after you’re done with each nail so that they will have a positive experience. The styptic powder is needed in case you accidentally cut the nails too short and when there is bleeding. This will immediately stop the bleeding since it binds the wound.
- Before you begin cutting, you should expose your dog to the clipper and teach them that it is not something to be afraid of. You can try clicking the trimmer near your dog’s paw or placing it near his foot until he gets used to its look and sound. When the dog is now more relaxed, you can proceed to the next step.
- Whether you are using scissors, guillotine or grinder, it is important that you first make your dog comfortable. Find a position that is relaxing to the dog and does not put too much strain on his legs as you’re cutting the nails.
- It will be easier for both of you if you perform the procedure slowly.
- Talk to your dog in a calm, soothing tone. Don’t make any sudden movements especially when you are holding the clippers.
- Continue to talk to your dog as you carefully examine his nails. If your pet seems to relax and you don’t notice any hesitation, you can continue with the procedure.
- Remember that the goal here is to make your pet comfortable before you start trimming his nails.
- The moment your pet feels relaxed, you can now separate the toe and remove any excess hair.
- If your pet has black nails, it can be a challenge since you can’t directly see the quick. You need to look underneath to locate the part where the nail separates into a triangle which has two outer walls. When you see the triangle part, it means that it is safe to cut because there is no quick under the nails.
- Using one hand, hold the paw and separate the toes. Use your other hand to firmly hold onto the clippers.
- In holding the clipper, make sure that the blades are facing you. This will prevent the accidental cutting of the quick found underneath the nails.
- Hold the clipper against the toe pad then carefully cut square across the nail. Make sure that you don’t cut it too short because it can cause bleeding.
- Take your time in cutting each nail and take a break if you have too. When you feel that your dog is distressed, give him time to rest. You don’t have to cut all the nails in one sitting.
- When you accidentally cut the quick and there is bleeding, apply the styptic powder right away. If you don’t have this powder, you can run soap against the bleeding toe and this should stop the bleeding.
Remember that you don’t have to completely cut the nails so that you instantly get the desired length. You can gradually cut them over time so you don’t undue pressure to your dog. Always reward them every time because this will help them feel more at ease next time.
With the use of the best nail trimmer for dogs you can personally do your pet grooming at home. There will be no need to pay other people to do the task for you. Aside from the savings you get, there is also less stress for your pet when the process is done at the comforts of your home.
Cutting your dog’s nails is an important part of his hygiene. This should be regularly done using the best nail clipper for dogs to ensure that your pet gets the best care and protection.
The five products we have mentioned are among the top selling nail clippers and are highly recommended by professionals. Take time in checking each of their features and consider your needs so you can pick the best trimmer for your pet.