The best dog treats for senior dogs are meant to supplement the daily nutritional needs of your pet dog as well as help them in their training. Although this is not meant to replace the staple food, dog treats should be used to optimize your dog’s health.
It feels like there are as many flavors and types of dog treats as there are dogs. The best thing to do is to choose the one that will suit your dog’s taste and nutritional needs.
Gaining the necessary information regarding these dog treats will save you a lot of trouble especially with upset stomachs and allergies. The detailed information regarding the nutritional content of the best and most highly recommended dog treats will give your dog a happy and healthy life.
Best Dog Treats for Senior Dogs Review
The Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat is a wholesome and delicious treat that is loaded with nutritious ingredients. It is rich in calcium for the maintenance of your dog’s strong teeth and bones.
The Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat has the crunchy texture of a typical dog biscuit as well as the delicious taste of a real bone. It was prepared with utmost care by makers of a reputable company named Milk-Bone. The delicious taste will make your dog not just healthy but also happy.
This dog treat is specially made with a nutritional formula for dogs of all sizes. Meaning, your Afghan hound can enjoy this as much as your chihuahua.
The Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat comes in a canister that is convenient enough for you to handle. You can easily feed it by feeding the pieces in their original size. You can also break them into smaller bits for small dogs.
The container is airtight which gives the Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat maximum freshness and will also keep it from spoiling fast or getting soft. The wide mouth of the jar also makes it easy to take out the dog treat quickly, especially if you have to feed several dogs at once.
As the main source of calcium, the real bone marrow contained in the Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat is the prime factor in your dog’s development. Bone marrow is a good source of essential fatty acids as well as vitamins and minerals. These regulate your dog’s body functions and maintain his overall health.
Lastly, the large bin of Milk-Bone MaroSnacks Dog Treat makes it affordable for its size. The bigger advantage though is that you could feed multiple dogs or just a single dog frequently with this.
If you are constantly asking yourself what are the best dog treats for your pet, you might think it is the one that can help your pet take his medicine easily. Greenies Pill Pocket goes well with the medicine for your dog and masks the taste of it using a delicious chicken flavor.
Most dogs do not like the taste of medicine, and it is difficult to hide the taste of medicine in human foods like cheese or peanut butter. Though, if your dog does not take his medicine regularly, its health could be greatly compromised.
Greenies Pill Pocket is a low-calorie dog treat. Thus, it can maintain your dog’s weight while boosting its health. As long as you do not allow your dog to overeat, Greenies Pill Pocket is one of the best organic food treats that your pet will love.
The Greenie Pill Pocket Dog Treat is made up of natural organic ingredients. It contains vegetable oil, skimmed milk, corn syrup, and rehydrated chicken. This dog treat also contains tocopherols to maintain your dog’s healthy skin.
As a highly recommended dog treat by veterinarians, the Greenie Pill Pocket comes in easy to use pockets. The capsule-sized pockets are easy to use and pinch, so you can give it to your pet anytime.
If your dog does not like the chicken flavor, there are also other delicious flavor options. There are real peanut butter flavor, hickory smoke flavor, and many others.
The Greenie Pill Pocket comes in two convenient sizes. It comes in one larger size where a typical capsule can fit. It can also come in a smaller size to make room for any small tablet.
As one of the best dog treat brands, Zuke’s Mini Naturals is a miniature dog treat that is rich in vitamins and minerals. It is also made up of the best quality ingredients like whole foods, seasonings, and real chicken. This is a moist treat that is specially formulated to boost your dog’s health.
This dog treat contains only less than 3.5 calories for every treat. This is essential in keeping your dog’s weight low while his health improves fast.
Zuke’s Mini Naturals has one of the most delicious flavors. In fact, it contains rosemary and turmeric flavors along with the main chicken flavor. Rosemary and turmeric are not only savory but also super for your dog’s health as they are very good antioxidants.
With a long-standing commitment since 1995 to boosting dogs’ health for training and adventures, Zuke’s Mini Naturals do not contain common allergens like corn, wheat, and soy. This means that your dog’s safety and health will always be guaranteed with Zuke’s Mini Naturals.
This dog treat is also shelf-stable. This means that it does not make a mess or spoil when stored in a treat pouch or when refrigerated. This makes it useful in both hot and cold weather conditions.
Moreover, as its name suggests, Zuke’s Mini Naturals provides your dog with the most natural ingredients. It contains rice flour, malted barley, carrots, apple, molasses, canola oil, garlic and flax seed. Thus, Zuke’s is one of the best dog treats for sensitive stomachs.
Zuke’s Mini Naturals is also perfect for diabetic dogs. This is because it does not contain any sweeteners or sugar. This also makes it safe and suitable for puppies of any breed.
Wilderness Blue Buffalo is one of the best organic dog treats. Its best feature is that it is 100% grain-free. Thus, your dog can enjoy a gluten-free diet that will not give him any type of allergies.
This dog treat is also a high-protein power food that is perfect for your dog’s energy in training and adventure. With its real duck ingredient, it provides the best quality protein supplement for your dog. Wilderness Blue Buffalo is not a chicken by-product meal.
Despite the duck ingredient, Wilderness Blue Buffalo also contains salmon. Salmon is the ultimate source of omega-3 fatty acids. This is essential to maintaining a healthy weight and a healthy heart for your dog.
As a source of energy, tapioca starch is another main ingredient of the Wilderness Blue Buffalo. With peas and pea protein as its main sources of protein, this dog treat provides your dog with all the power and energy that it needs for its daily activities.
Another protein booster contained in this particular dog treat is a chicken meal. This meat concentrate actually has almost 300% more protein compared to real fresh chicken. This helps in building your dog’s muscles.
With peas, the Wilderness Blue Buffalo is also an excellent source of natural fiber. This makes it ideal as one of the best dog treats for sensitive stomachs. Fiber is naturally healthy for digestive health.
Finally, the Wilderness Blue Buffalo Dog Treats are not hard. This makes it easy for them to break. This softness along with the taste can help boost a dog’s appetite especially when it is sick.
The Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky is natural and healthy. It does not contain any artificial ingredients like flavorings that can affect your dog’s stomach or appetite. It also does not contain fillers like gluten, soy, and corn as these are natural causes of allergy.
The Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky is actually a careful and secretly guarded family recipe that is made from all-American beef. It is, therefore, a rich source of protein that your dog can use for training and daily activities.
As one of the best dog treats for senior dogs, the Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky does not leave a sticky and greasy residue on your hands. In fact, it smells like a real beef jerky, making it very convenient to hold.
The deep roasted aroma of the smoked beef jerky is perfect for your dog’s taste. In addition, it is also soft and is, therefore, easy to eat. Your dog will love eating and chewing on these treats anytime.
This high-protein, low-fat and low-calorie dog treat is good for maintaining your dog’s ideal weight. Without these features, your dog will gain a lot of weight and will become unhealthy as you keep feeding it.
This dog treat is actually thick, long and segmented, making the pellets a much better chew compared to thin and flat ones. They can break into convenient 3/4” squares that your dog can easily eat anytime.
Finally, the all-natural ingredients of the Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky include the best in the organic world. The real beef jerky and chicken ingredients help to naturally boost your dog’s health.
Dog Treats Buying Guide
There are some things you need to remember before you buy dog treats. You cannot just buy any dog treat without enough information about its ingredients and its health and safety considerations.
1) Nature of Ingredients – Remember that your dog’s digestive health is guaranteed better with natural treats compared with artificial ingredients. Moreover, natural dog treats can prevent any allergic reactions.
Besides, the calorie content of many natural dog treats is relatively low and reasonable so that your pet can keep a healthy weight. Make sure that your dog treat does not contain artificial colors, humectants, and artificial preservatives like sodium nitrate and potassium sorbate.
2) Approval of the FDA – Keep in mind that although you may be unfamiliar with the ingredients, the most practical thing you can do is to check whether there is a seal of approval from the FDA. Safe dog treats will always be approved by the FDA.
3) Calorie Content – Although natural dog treats usually have low calories, it is not always the case. Check the calorie content of your dog treats. Good dog treats have the lowest possible calories because they keep your pet’s weight at normal and safe levels.
4) Presence of Sweeteners – Choose dog treats with natural sweeteners like molasses, honey or applesauce. These are better than artificial sweeteners. Top rated dog treats have natural sweeteners that should be good for diabetic dogs.
5) Quality of Ingredients – Choose dog treats with whole food ingredients such as whole wheat. This is much better than wheat flour or another form of wheat. Top dog treats contain high-quality ingredients and do not have fillers like gluten, corn, soy or wheat flour.
6) Safety of Ingredients – Go for dog treats to which your dog does not have any allergy. If your pet has allergies to chicken, beef or dairy, the best thing to do is to choose salmon fish. Healthy dog treats do not cause allergy and may contain over 90% of salmon fish as well as brown rice and some vitamins. Naturally, these dog treats also have omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
7) Flavor – Still, the best dog treat is one that your dog really likes. You can choose from salmon, beef, turkey or chicken or many other combinations. If your dog likes the chicken flavor, then, by all means, get him that chicken-flavored dog treat. The best dog treats for senior dogs must first of all be one that your pet should be able to finish.
8) Extra Nutrients – If you want the best dog treats for bad breath, these must have at least some advanced ingredients like DHA. DHA promotes fast brain development and also one of the best ingredients for dog training.
9) Consistency – Although this is a minor consideration, you should choose dry dog treats. These are better than moist treats with messy consistency. Good treats for dogs must come in a form that should be convenient for you and for your pet to handle.
It is always a challenge to know what is good and what is not for your pet dog. There are some things that you have to bear in mind if you need to keep your dog safe and healthy. Here are some things that you should know before buying dog treats and when using them.
- Stick to the 10 Percent Rule when feeding your dog with dog treats. From the perspective of calorie intake, it is best not to feed your dog more than 10% of its daily intake with dog treats. After all, even the healthiest dog treats are still just a treat and not a staple.
- Always check the nutritional facts. Dog treats are not regulated in the same manner compared to dog food. Thus, there are some dog treats without complete and detailed nutritional information. The best thing to do is always to go safe on this by choosing the best dog treats with natural ingredients.
- Be careful when substituting commercial dog treats with your homemade treats. Homemade treats may be more untrustworthy because they may not contain the essential formulation for your dog’s health. They may also include large garlic and onions that are naturally toxic to dogs.
- If you have puppies instead, be careful and find out which are the best puppy treats before you buy certain dog treats. The same thing goes if you want the best treats for small dogs like chihuahuas. Not all dog treats can suit just any type of dog.
- Be wary of some dog treats that have no approval seal by the FDA. Although they are not legally sold in the market, be careful if someone offers one to you. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Always seek out the veterinarian’s or dog expert’s advice if you are in doubt about anything concerning dog treats.
- Check whether your dog likes the dog treat you have bought or not. Do not force your dog to eat it just because you do not want to put it to waste.
- In case you see any sign of poisoning or anything unusual in your dog that should cause alarm, take the dog to the veterinarian as soon as you can. You cannot afford to wait any longer before you realize that it is too late.
Buying Dog Treats Online
- When buying dog treats online, always bear in mind that you should buy from reputable companies. You can buy from Milk-Bone MaroSnacks, Greenies, Zuke’s, Wilderness, and Rocco & Roxie.
- Make sure that the things that you are looking for in the dog treat are all there. Otherwise, it would be hard to return the product by mail.
- It also pays a lot to get to know your dog and his needs very well before you make your purchase of dog treats.
These are the basic things to keep in mind when buying dog treats online. As always, the best thing to do is to do research beforehand. Nothing is better than an informed decision.
The best choice for dog treats is Zuke’s Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Training Treats because it does not contain the gluten-rich ingredients like wheat, soy, and corn. These may give your dogs certain harmful allergies.
Also, Zuke’s Mini Naturals contains turmeric and rosemary which are not only delicious but also filled with powerful antioxidants to boost your dog’s immune system. Although it may not contain as much protein as the Wilderness Blue Buffalo, Zuke’s Mini Naturals contains all the necessary organic ingredients that should boost a dog’s proper and healthy body functioning. From carrots to apples to canola oil, Zuke’s Mini Naturals are perfect for your dog’s digestive health.