Getting rid of the strain and pain of your body has become easier with the aid of best foam rollers. Almost everyone has tried the effectiveness of the tool for physical therapy.
Unlike other medicinal equipment, massage therapists and trainers are getting the hang of it. This is due to the ongoing studies that reveal the more unexpected benefits of using foam rollers. Apparently, apart from pain relief, it also enhances muscle flexibility and improves the condition of your soft tissues.
Despite the fact that you can find tons of foam roller reviews, are you aware which of them is best to use? This is why you need to be knowledgeable of the guidelines on selecting one wisely.
Best Foam Roller Review
1. AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller
This foam roller is designed with high density as represented by its black color. Apart from its standard construction, it has molded edges. You can use this for rehabilitation, balance, flexibility, and strength improvement among others.
To ensure that its firmness will last for the long term, Amazon chose to use polypropylene as the main material of the foam roller. AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller is highly portable due to its lightweight structure.
If you are looking for a means of improving your workout, consider using this product. Apart from the training purposes above, it complements a wide array of exercises. You may position it according to the muscles you want to target.
The design of AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller is based on its purpose to rehabilitate glutes, lower back, hamstrings, and calves among others. Though it measures around 36 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches, it is still transport-friendly.
You may use it to get relief from strained muscles after, before and during your training. When utilized in combination with your body weight, you will be able to enhance your tissues’ blood circulation. It is also reliable in targeting discomfort, pain, and muscle stiffness. It carries out a soft-tissue therapy in order to improve your mobility.
The design of the foam roller makes it very easy to clean. You can use it in your yoga studio, home gym or public training center conveniently.
- Works to release muscle knots
- Complements intensive training
- Improves range of motion
- Lightweight and portable
2. LuxFit Foam Roller
This is another premium product that could be your choice of a foam roller. It is made to be extra firm for high-density training and suitable for use before or after workouts.
Furthermore, it complements massage therapy, physical therapy, and reflexology among others. If you have been recently suffering from muscle tension and stress, this is a foam roller to consider. LuxFit Foam Roller has a two-pound-per-cubic-foot density and is designed with a smooth surface.
You can guarantee that LuxFit Foam Roller will not lose its shape even after years of use. It can also repel liquids, which makes it more convenient to use even in areas with high temperatures.
You can select from a variety of three measurements:6 inches by 12 inches, 6 inches by 36 inches, and 6 inches by 18 inches. This foam roller is also designed to perk up stamina, balance, and core training.
Besides average people, it is also trusted by gym owners and personal trainers due to its durability. It is highly rigid, which is why it can support even the most strenuous exercise.
Similar to the first foam roller, it is made from polypropylene. Though it has a smooth texture, it has great support, preventing you from falling off its edges. It may not come with a manual or book of instructions, but its standard construction makes it very easy to use at home, in the gym or yoga studio.
- Useful for a variety of exercises
- Extra firm for post-workout recovery
- Effective in working out knots
- Suitable for powerlifting
- Cushioned exterior
- Reports of defects upon delivery
3. TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller
You will notice that this roller has less foam compared to its counterparts. However, this foam roller measuring 13 inches by 5.5 inches will never disappoint. Regardless if you are a beginner or professional athlete, you will appreciate this products’ Distrodensity construction.
TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller is constructed to deliver effective and concentrated massage. You can also rely on it if you are looking for a foam roller that will stay forever.
Aside from average weekend warriors, TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller is also trusted by coaches, physicians, and physical therapists. Though it has a considerably different design, you can travel with it and store it instantly.
This foam roller is made of high-quality materials which will not lose shape or break after long-term use.
The product also ships with an online manual video library, which will teach you the routines that TriggerPoint experts suggest for you to try.
The sturdy construction of the foam roller will mimic the feeling of being massaged by a therapist after an injury. Apart from eliminating the knots in your muscles, the foam roller is also made to address tissue problems, improve blood flow and support your oxygen circulation at the same time.
It is also designed to level up your range of motion, balance, and flexibility. The design of the foam roller is patented, implying that it is made to target kinks, knots, and tightness.
- Addresses pain
- Quite firm and comfortable
- Does not emit unlikely odor
- Looks well-made
- Too thin and soft foam
4. ProSource Sports Medicine Foam Roller
This foam roller is constructed in a size that is approximately twice those of its counterparts’. It is another solid choice given its Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate (EVA) foam and various density areas. You can anticipate it to provide you an emphasized muscle massage and healing of pain.
The exterior of the foam roller is made of bumps, which are ideal for the more sensitive areas of your body. ProSource Sports Medicine Foam Roller is constructed to work on large muscle areas such as lats, quads, upper back, and lower back.
The innovative design of ProSource Sports Medicine Foam Roller ensures that it will support your training for a long time. Despite using it in strenuous activities, it will not break or even crack. As for muscle recovery, this foam roller is also highly useful because it releases fascia and improves blood circulation simultaneously.
Through its unified benefits, you can recover instantly, which is essential for athletes who require further training. Instead of paying for massage therapy, this is an affordable alternative. It will get rid of your muscle tension minus the cost.
This muscle reliever is also available with two models that differ based on size. The first one measures 13 inches by 6 inches, which is a good option for travel-savvy people. On the other hand, you should purchase the 24 inches by 6inches version if you are seeking for extra coverage.
- Works on very tight areas
- Has ridges for troubled parts
- Promotes quick recovery
- Can be used daily
- Unique design
- Reports of premature breakage
5. PharMeDoc Foam Roller
The foam roller is designed not only to support your training but also provide you an effective muscle massage. It measures 13 inches in length and designed with ridges for targeted therapy. You can attain a relaxing therapy from this product, particularly for the sore areas of your body.
PharMeDoc Foam Roller ensures that release of fascia will take place alongside the pain relief. Given its standard construction, you may use it on any part of the body.
According to its manufacturer, the product has been relied on and approved by physicians and athletes worldwide. Besides giving you relief from pain, it will also facilitate better blood flow and increase flexibility.
Your range of motion will also be enhanced by PharMeDoc Foam Roller. The ergonomic design of the foam ensures that it will not slide or slip from your skin. It is also marketed as a means of eliminating Fibromyalgia-related pain.
Compared to its previous version, it promotes recovery of muscles more quickly. Its portable size allows you to bring it while traveling or use it at home.
The reinforced core of the foam roller allows you to personalize the pressure you apply onto your muscles. It will not crack, snap or even break because of its solid build.
Even beginners will find it useful since it can be added to your routine prior or after your training.
- Rugged foam roller
- Works for patients with Fibromyalgia
- Ideal for extensive training
- Suitable for kids
- Does not crack easily
- Feels like it’s made of hard plastic
Best Foam Roller Buying Guide
Types of Foam Roller
Before you proceed to select the best muscle roller out of the products offered on the market, you should learn more about the tool. Similar to other training equipment options, it has different types.
Here are the top foam rollers to select from, categorized by category.
1) Standard Foam Roller -This is the best massage roller for everyone. Given its standard construction, even a beginner will reap a lot of benefits from it. Indeed, it will cause much pain when you have not experienced foam rolling previously.
Though uncomfortable, performing the routine repeatedly will reduce this inconvenience. Afterward, you will find that it is actually milder than other foam roller types.
2) Firm Foam Roller – From the name itself, it is the densest among the types of foam rollers. When you sit on it, it will also be the hardest you will encounter. This is a great choice if you are looking for a more focused, deeper and more intensive myofascial release. If you are a professional athlete, this foam roller will help you train hard since it promotes a quicker recovery.
3) Black Foam Roller – You will find the construction of this roller similar to the first type of this tool. Nonetheless, it has a higher density compared to the standard foam roller. If you have been previously injured, this is the roller to use. The black foam roller can provide you a great rolling experience without losing its form.
4) Short Foam Roller – The foam roller is available in both soft and firm densities. It is around 50 percent of the length of the standard foam roller. This is an ideal choice if you want to concentrate on specific muscles of your body. It is also easy to control and store due to its compact size.
5) The Grid – You can consider this as the upgraded black foam roller. It may hurt on sore muscles, but it is advantageous if you want to take your foam rolling to the next level.
What to Look For When Buying
You can select the best foam roller for your back, thigh, or legs by listing factors to consider. Similar to any product, there are the most crucial attributes a foam roller must possess for it to be declared a high-quality choice.
Whether you are searching for the best foam roller for runners or beginners, you should take note of the following:
1) Personalization – Stores often allow their customers to find the foam roller that is best for them by letting them try the product out. You may request doing so in order to make your choices personalized. Alternatively, you may ask your personal trainer about the type of roller that will complement your exercises most efficiently.
2) Density – It is a crucial factor to choose foam rollers based on density. This is the measure that determines how effective the tool is in massaging your deep tissues. Apparently, if you have selected a soft foam roller, insufficient pressure may be applied to your body, leading to zero to few benefits.
On the contrary, higher density may cause trauma or bruises. If you are a beginner, you should look for a softer one that will still improve your muscles.
Otherwise, if you have been used to standard foam rollers, you should try denser ones. Take note that higher density also guarantees longer periods of use.
3) Size – Mostly, foam rollers are 15 centimeters (cm) in diameter, with lengths that may range from 30 to 90 cm. If you will use the foam roller for your back, you should look for the 90-cm model. This will allow you to roll your back without the worry of falling off its edges. However, you may consider selecting a shorter foam roller if you commonly bring the tool outdoors.
4) Texture – Rollers have various texture options, such as smooth and textured. The latter may be in knobs, ridges, or masseuse form. Smooth foam rollers can ensure an even distribution of pressure, whereas the textured ones can guarantee a concentrated massage to get rid of your muscle knots.
Using/ Safety Tips
Once you have found your best type of foam roller and product to purchase, you can proceed to use the tool for improved well-being. There are more effective ways of using the tool and improving your training. Simply follow the guidelines below:
1) Use It to Loosen Tightened Areas – With the use of the best high-density foam roller, you should take advantage of it by eliminating tightened areas.
Normally, you will encounter this on the upper back, iliotibial band or outer thigh, and quadriceps among others. You can perform this by positioning your body on top of the foam roller. Afterward, you use your body weight to roll back and forth slowly, which will result in an elimination of scar tissues and adhesions.
2) Do Not Use It on an Injured Area – Although foam rollers are designed to address pain in your body, you should not use it directly on an injured spot. If you do this, more tension and inflammation will develop.
Your fascia and muscles will tense as well. Take note that pain may be distributed instead of concentrated on the solely injured area. To be safe, you should roll the connecting muscles near the core of the pain.
3) Avoid Rolling Certain Spots – Besides injury, there are spots you should not roll. These are your lower back, bone, and joints. These areas are susceptible to more tension, which is why encountering their issues means you should seek a physician’s help.
4) Never Roll Too Quickly – It is true that foam rolling really hurts, especially when done slowly. However, if you speed it up, you will not be able to relax your muscles or release fascia. If you roll more slowly, you would also reap the perk of better blood circulation.
5) Prevent Staying in One Place – You may have detected fascia on a certain area of your body, but staying in that place too long will cause tissue damage or nerve irritation. As a solution, you should begin with 50 percent of your body weight first. Afterward, you adjust the pressure slowly.
Overall, AmazonBasics High-Density Round Foam Roller is a great starting point for your muscle recovery and ongoing training. It is a foam roller that will never be out of the “best foam roller” list.
Amazon is also too generous to provide three options of sizes. This makes personalization more possible. As for the material, this foam roller does not fall short since it is made of polypropylene.
If you evaluate the foam roller, it complies with every standard you are looking for in the equipment. But still, it is your choice to purchase its counterparts. Furthermore, never forget to learn how to use the foam roller correctly to get the most out of it.