Homes are notorious for being breeding grounds of unwanted and harmful air pollutants. Air pollutants are one of the greatest environmental health hazards we face today.
The usual way of addressing this problem is to control the spread of these pollutants by ventilating the home and by ensuring that the floors in your home are sparkly clean by removing any dust or grime. However, if this is insufficient, it is desirable to go with an air cleaning device.
Why we need Air Purifiers?
In our homes, at all times, we find pollutants like mold spores, dust mites, pet dander, dust, dirt and debris. These are the sources of allergies like asthma, fatigue, headaches, runny nose, watery eyes, etc.
Apart from these airborne particles, our indoors also have harmful gasses that threaten our health. Some of these noxious gasses are Volatile Organic Compounds or (VOCs) that are given off from materials like cleaning solutions, adhesives, varnishes, paints, building materials, etc. Other harmful gasses are radon, fuel combustion fumes, tobacco smoke, etc, which cause chronic respiratory problems.
According to Environmental Protection Agency, United States, such indoor air pollution is responsible for the top five environmental health problems in the United States. To keep your indoor air clean and safe to inhale, air purifiers should be used to eliminate airborne particles and chemicals, and different micro-organisms in the air.
How do Air Purifiers Work?
Usually, air purifiers have an integrated fan and a filtration system. The fan helps circulate air in a specified area. This air that circulates goes through the filtration system of the unit and traps the contaminants in the filter. The air filter unit treats the particles trapped electrically so that they are neutralized.
Due to the electrical treatment given, the trapped air particles become positively charged. Inside the unit, plates also become electrically charged so that they turn opposite in polarity from the trapped air particles. This results in a magnetic effect that causes the particles to get into a neutral state.
After this, the cleaned air is redirected into the room after being cleaned by an ionization process.
Benefits of Air Purifiers at Home
Air purifiers are devices that remove air pollutants and purify it so that you breathe clean and healthy air. They give residents several benefits, such as:
- Eliminate sources of allergies: By purifying the ambient air quality at home, they get rid of allergens present in the air, so anyone suffering from respiratory diseases like bronchitis, asthma and cough and cold can find ample relief.
- Eliminate second-hand smoke: If you are a smoker or have one at home, turning on an air purifier will help get rid of second-hand smoke which is seen to be as dangerous to non-smokers as smoking.
- Get rid of air impurities and contaminants: The HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters contained in air purifiers help clean the air that is circulated in homes. They get rid of impurities and contaminants present in the air, often removing 99.9% of dust particles of size 0.3 microns or larger. These filters also clean the air of pollen, pet dander, dust, smoke and dirt in the air.
- Remove dangerous chemicals and indoor pollutants: Air purifiers work to eliminate pollutants and chemicals that are found at home, while also lowering one’s exposure to toxins found in insect poisons, cleaning solutions, aerosol sprays and cigarette smoke. This cleans the air and keeps the body healthy.
- Remove odors from home: These days, homes do not have adequate ventilation, thereby reducing the option of good air circulation. So, it’s not surprising to find that odors from closets, kitchens, paints, waste, furnishings and chemical reactions hang in the air. This causes harmful effects on the occupants of a home. By regularly using air purifiers, this dull stale air is released from the indoors and replaced by fresh and clean air.
- Increase lifespan: The way air purifiers work, they increase one’s lifespan. The ill-effects of pollutants hang in the air for months or even years. When air purifiers work regularly at home, they increase your health quotient and thereby your lifespan too.
- Remove gaseous pollution: Air purifiers help remove gaseous pollutants like vehicle exhaust, charcoal combustion, VOCs, cooking, vehicle exhaust, cooking, burning of charcoal, chemical gasses and those released by refrigerators, etc. Most of these gaseous pollutants are dangerous to our health. However, they can be removed by filtering or by converting them to a potentially harmless form.
- Relieve dry skin: People exposed to low humidity levels and do not drink much liquid experience dry or wrinkled skin. By having an air purifier at home, it can increase the moisture in the air and therefore moisturize the complexions of the occupants of the house.
It is now proved that air purifiers cause the air to be purified and healthy. In fact, through regular use of these devices people have benefited immensely and now lead very healthy lives. Therefore, it would be safe to say that one air purifier in each home can take care of multiple health problems.
Misha Kr is a blogger who loves to blog on health. When she is not writing, she is either watching movies or simply cooking her favorite recipes.